Monday, February 18, 2008

Wow. Scalzi disembowels Burt

Okay, check this out--and the comments are fun too. John Scalzi, champion of SFWA and writers everywhere, tears Andrew Burt's guts out all over the place in the most wickedly entertaining post I have seen in ages. If the whole foofara of Burt's screw-up regarding his one-man crusade against imaginary book piracy passed you by last year, you can read about it on the famous BoingBoing post. After all that, Burt has the audacity to run for president of SFWA. Oh. My. Gawd. Thus, Scalzi attacks.

I have no dog in this race. I'm not yet eligible for SFWA, and frankly, when I am eligible I don't know that I'll join. It'll depend a lot on if the organization pulls up its socks and starts working on behalf of active writers instead of on behalf of Andrew Burt's massive ego.

I did wonder, a few days ago, why Jim Hines had posted about the election with such a prickly undertone. Now I know, and that post makes a lot more sense.

Dammit, I just realized it's after seven and I was planning to spend the entire evening writing. I guess I still can, but it would have been nice to be a few thousands words along right now. The ending and sequel to White Rose are both taking shape mentally, and I really need to get much further along than I am.

No comments: