Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Double your fun

Well, this weekend I finally got the rest of my handwritten pages of Adventures in Zoology typed, which took forever. Turns out I'm right at the 50,000 word mark! I left my hero and heroine fleeing from city guards, and I suspect I'm going to go back to them soon. I can't just leave them in the lurch like that.

Of course, while I was typing up all that, I was neglecting The Trickster Society. I now have lots of handwritten pages for it pending typing. I just can't keep up, which is odd because I type much, much faster than I handwrite.

I just realized something. I truly am working on two books at once. It's never worked for me before, but maybe this time I can make it happen. For one thing, I'm pretty close to getting stuck on my first plot hurdle on Trickster. I'm going to need to set it aside for a few days anyway for thinking time. I might as well write something else in the meantime.

7 comments:

Fox Lee said...

I can't handwrite for shit. My hands refuse to cooperate.

Cate Gardner said...

Dear Time Gods, please send extra hours to Kate. Thank you.

I'm yet to crack the two novels at once party...one day. Oh, and as always, I envy your word count. I get to 50,000 words and we're pretty much done.

Alan W. Davidson said...

I love to hand write a first draft. And then a sort of edit while typing it in. Wow...working on two books at once!

Aaron Polson said...

Good gravy, two novels at once. I can hardly handle one short story at a time.

K.C. Shaw said...

Natalie--I have to use a good gel-type pen rather than ballpoints or my hand cramps up very quickly.

Cate--I wish I was done at 50,000 words! I should write more YA/MG stuff.

Alan--I really like the 'free' editing pass that comes with typing up a handwritten draft.

Aaron--Well, I don't know how long I can keep it up. Eventually I'm going to have to focus on one or the other or I'll never finish either.

LMEighmy said...

I wrote two books at once about a year and a half ago. They had some characters in common, so it was kind of tricky. I kept getting them mixed up. But it was a lot of fun, and I really want to edit them sometime...if I can get past my fear of editing, that is! :P

K.C. Shaw said...

I seem to be focusing more on the new project and letting Adventures in Zoology slide. I don't think I could write two projects together that shared characters. Talk about mixing up the puzzle pieces! :)