Monday, December 31, 2012

1,000 posts

This is my 1,000th post since starting this blog on September 1, 2007. I think it was 2007. Anyway, milestone post!

Writing-wise, 2012 was a disappointing year in some ways. Three different markets that had accepted my work went toes-up. On the other hand, I did have a story in Daily Science Fiction, which was pretty cool.

I wrote two full-length books in 2012, the YA Shadow Trail and the fantasy Wharf Rat. I'm in the final throes of revisions for the latter, which I hope to finish tonight so I can send it out to beta readers. I am no closer to getting an agent, but I have a kick-ass YA steampunk fantasy lined up for my next project, so maybe....

As for resolutions, I didn't make any for 2012 because it was so crazy and horrible with Mom's death on Jan. 3. The only resolution I've ever made that I've kept was from 2011, when I resolved to floss my teeth every single day. I have, too.

But I feel the need to line up all my ducks (OMG, I seriously didn't write ducks the first time) and make some resolutions for 2013. I will try to keep them simple.

1. Get a tattoo. (I've been seriously intending to for about 15 years. This is the year! I just need to figure out what and where and then find someone to hold my hand when I go to get it done.)

2. Take up a sport, whether fencing or horseback riding (or both) or something else. Exercise daily, even if it's just for a few minutes.

3. Hike more.

4. Travel more.

5. Reach my weight loss goal, or at least get to a point where I feel better about my appearance. Respect myself and take care of myself.

6. Do more interesting things and spend less time sitting in front of the computer.

7. Keep striving to improve my writing in every way.

10 comments:

Free Range Anglican said...

I need to exercise daily too. If you want mutual accountability, groovy.

I will gladly travel with you. Yea! Its just a matter of time and money, but as I said in August, I'd gladly take you anywhere!

I will hold your hand while you get a tat... even though my eyes will be squeezed shut. I will not, under any circumstances have you return the favor. I do know people here who could hook you up... I can't believe I'm saying that.

K.C. Shaw said...

Haha, you know EVERYONE. :) I actually thought I might ask Jess. She's got a couple of tats and could advise me.

I'm thinking of emailing the old DOD group to see if anyone wants to do it again this year. It won't be as fun without Mom but it always helps keep me honest.

Free Range Anglican said...

YES! Must DOD! Must, must!
I'm starting 2013 with a cup of coffee and the hiccoughs. Seriously? Hiccoughs? *hic* Yes, seriously.

K.C. Shaw said...

I've got hot tea and toast.

We totally need to take a roadtrip this summer, if both of us can get free for a few days.

Richard said...

Happy 2013!

K.C. Shaw said...

Happy 2013 to you too!

Paula RC said...

I know I can't be there, there for you, K.C, but you know I'm here for you. I look forward to see you Tat... Err a picture, if it is somewhere where you can show it off :-)

Good luck with all your writing projects in 2013, K.C

Catch up with you again soon.

K.C. Shaw said...

I doubt I'll get a tat anywhere that I can't post a pic. Or put it this way: I want to be able to see it when I look down.

Kelly Robinson said...

If you need a sport, you should try curling. I've been meaning to get back into it. It's easy to pick up but hard to master, if that makes sense. Like chess. I also like how it's a gentleman's sport, and everyone shakes hands before and after a game, and no smack talk allowed (I have to be careful).

K.C. Shaw said...

But it's played on ice, and ice is cold! Matthew used to be crazy about curling, actually. I always intended to stop by to see a match but never got around to it.