Sunday, March 16, 2014

Fear is false

I've wanted to learn how to play drums since I was in my early 20s at least, maybe late teens. I don't remember, just that it's been a very long time. But I never got around to it, didn't know how to start, didn't have the money for drums or lessons, etc.

But you know what? It's simple. I could have started years and years ago, if I'd only known. It's simple and fun and I just started and why didn't I start back when I first had the idea? If I had, I'd be really good by now.

When I picked up the drumsticks for the first time on Wednesday, I was terrified. Yes, I was by myself in my own house and no one was going to care. I was still scared. Because it was something I'd wanted to do for so long, I'd put a lot of emotion into learning.

I was, of course, terrible. I have a booklet (two booklets, actually) of exercises and directions, and I was practically shaking when I started going through it. At the end of my first 20-minute or so practice session, I was exhausted.

Now, after only a few days, I'm still terrible but I'm no longer scared. The reality of actually doing this thing I've been dreaming about for so long has dissipated the emotions involved. And I really enjoy drumming. I want to get good at it. I look forward to practicing every day.

So if there's something you've always wanted to do but didn't think you could for whatever reason, just start. Go do it. Now! Look online for help with beginning, get a book from the library, whatever. You don't have to shell out a lot of money at first. You don't even have to talk to another human being if that makes you nervous. Just start. The you of 20 years from now will thank you.

4 comments:

Free Range Anglican said...

Awesome! N is taking up the trombone, maybe you guys can make noise together!!!!

K.C. Shaw said...

We can start a band! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow K.C. First of all. I would like to say hello after such a long time since I've drop by to say Hi how are you doing. I know how you are feeling. I've bought myself some paints and canvases to take up painting again. It's been years since I've held a paint brush and I'm scared too of marking the raw canvas and the picture not turning out as I imagine it to be. I'm slowly getting my writing published, but still would like to paint too. It's being able to create things which I enjoy so much, the freedom just to enjoy.
So enjoy your music, K C.

K.C. Shaw said...

Thanks! I hope your painting and writing are going great. You're right, creating for the joy of it is the first reason for doing art of any kind!