Sunday, December 2, 2007

Goodbye, NaNoWriMo

I miss November already. I read my NaNo book over today--I completed it yesterday--and it's better than I thought. That sounds both arrogant and false; all I mean is, for a book written in 31 days, it holds together with no plot holes or characterization bobbles. On the other hand, when I actually do my Butt In Chair time and write every day, I can easily write 50k in a month without needing the extra incentive of a contest.

But NaNo sure is a fun way to write. I love looking at my progression chart and seeing how far I've come, and I love pitting myself against other writers I know in the word-count battle. Best of all, I love having a new completed project to play with now when a month ago it was only an outline and a few character sketches.

I made some smallish revisions today: one character named Andrew had inexplicably become Arthur, another character set off for one town and ended up in another, and so forth. I also plugged the one minor plot hole I found and smoothed a few transitions. Now I'll set it aside for a few weeks so I can come back to it with fresh eyes. In the meantime, I'll write the synopsis and query for when it's ready to send out!

No comments: