Sunday, February 8, 2009


Alienskin accepted my story "Realer Than Real" last night! It'll be in the April/May issue. I'm especially thrilled since I've been trying to sell them something for a while.

It's 70-some degrees today, gorgeous sunny, spring-like weather. I've been down to the river to walk twice already on the two-mile songbird trail; staying inside seems stupid. This weather won't last. I've opened the windows in my bedroom, at least.

I finished reading Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston. It was good, and if I was 15 again I know it'd be one of my favorite books evar, but as an adult (and a writer) I found myself constantly aggravated by the sloppy writing. Adverbs and adjectives galore, said-bookisms, and lots of italicized words. But the characters are likable and the story is solid and interesting.


Josh Reynolds said...


K.C. Shaw said...


Aaron Polson said...

Awesomeness. (feeling 15 again too)

K.C. Shaw said...

I wish I could drop all the writerly fussiness when I'm reading.

Hey, Aaron, I saw your name on Duotrope with a congratulations this morning!

Catherine J Gardner said...

Congratulations again. :)

Wondrous Strange is on my to buy list. I've noticed a lot of published books overrun with adverbs lately. :) In fact, I had one story published where the editor added adverbs to my story (slaps own wrist for not reading the proof - it was one of my first acceptances after a long hiatus away from writing).

K.C. Shaw said...

I don't know what it is about adverbs and such. I try to edit mine out as much as possible, but I keep seeing them all over the dang place too. Edit, people, edit!