Monday, July 14, 2008

short stories or novels

I had to proctor placement tests all day today--I didn't get home until a little after 10pm--and of course while I proctor I can't do anything else. I tried to think about the short stories I'm working on (two of them now, although they're so similar I think one's going to get the chop soon).

But neither story interested me enough to spend brain time on. Instead my attention kept getting pulled to the next Weredeer novel, dammit. So I gave in and thought about it, and I have it half plotted now. I think I'm just going to give in and start writing it.

I love immersing myself in a novel, both to read and to write. Short stories don't interest me as much because they don't offer the same scope for character growth and detail that I do so love. And I'm not as good at writing short stories--the skills needed for short stories are different from those needed for novels, and I'm definitely a novelist. The only reason I really bother with short stories is because I can sell them so quickly (usually), and I loves me that instant gratification.

No comments: