Monday, March 22, 2010

Radio Silence

My word, I haven't posted since the middle of last week! Time flies.

Nothing much going on, except my last remaining cat is not doing well and, as a result, everything I do seems pointless and counterproductive and instead of singing along to the radio during my daily commute, I catch myself thinking about the transient nature of life and how cruel the universe seems. So you should probably be glad I haven't been blogging.

This year the region seems to be thoroughly infested with biting gnats of some sort. I've been calling them sweat bees although they're not; sweat bees have hard bodies like ants, but these have soft bodies that are smooshable. They resemble the bastard offspring of gnats and mosquitoes, and their bites both itch and hurt. They love me as much as I hate them, which makes it hard to get my garden prepared. Mom went out today and found me a green hat with mosquito netting, made for hikers and other outdoor types, and a long-sleeved red shirt with a high collar. Take that, killer gnats!

I have not written a word in days. This post doesn't count.

13 comments:

Alan W. Davidson said...

My name is Alan D. and I have not written in 3 weeks...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this affliction. Sorry about the gnat-ish creatures. I will try to send some of our freezing weather to kill them off (much friendlier than smooshing).

K.C. Shaw said...

It got cold here today (thanks for the freezing weather; you can have it back now), so hopefully that'll kill a bunch of them off. If not, I've got my hat.

Jameson T. Caine said...

I think I've written less than 500 words in the last two weeks. At this rate I'll have this novel finished by 2015.

I hope your kitty feels better.

Danielle Birch said...

Gnats begone!

I hope your cat is better soon and the words begin to flow.

Cate Gardner said...

I'm lucky, gnats hate my blood and leave me alone. Or perhaps my glare scares them.

Hope your cat gets better soon.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jameson--500 words is still better than nothing. At least the novel will get written eventually.

Danielle--Thanks, I hope so too.

Cate--All bugs love me. It's horrible. Why can't all tigers love me or something equally dramatic? Except that if tigers express their love like bugs, they'd bite me. Never mind.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Bugs suck, but on a lighter note, I am quite certain that my house will be overflowing with kitties soon and you are more than welcome to several of them if you wish.

Richard said...

Re: Radio Silence, do you happen to remember one of the old radio stations we listened to as children, where any lengthy silence would be automatically followed by a prerecorded announcement, "Disc Jockey Error. Disc Jockey Error. The disc jockey has just made an error", followed by stuggling sounds as security removed him?

Ah, those were the days. :)

Aaron Polson said...

"I catch myself thinking about the transient nature of life and how cruel the universe seems"

I have to admit, this is why I write dark stories. The universe does suck sometimes, but you can rage against it--creation of any sort is an act of defiance to the cruel universe.

And gnats suck.

Fox Lee said...

In my mind, I have this image of a person dressed in the hat you described and a holding a flyswatter. They are running around the garden screaming, "Die, you little cocksuckers, die!"

I recommend using one of those electric fly swatters.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jamie--I'd offer to trade these bugs for your kitties, but I'm afraid you'd believe I was serious.

Lertulo--I do remember that! I thought it was hilarious back when I was, oh, 11.

Aaron--Whenever I'm feeling grim like this, I end up writing more in the Weredeer books, which is funny because they're not really very dark.

Natalie--How did you guess? That's me exactly. :)

Richard said...

Total non-sequitur:

http://io9.com/5500259/i-demand-better-vampires

K.C. Shaw said...

That is the awesomest rant I have ever read. Thanks!