Saturday, May 22, 2010

Why I read so fast

I've figured out why I've developed into a read-it-in-one-sitting-if-possible reader. Maybe I've said this before and just don't remember (I have a terrible memory, but that just makes my life a cheerful series of discoveries and rediscoveries and rediscoveries), but I have trouble reading while I'm writing. Reading other people's books while I'm trying to write my own, that is. It's not that I pick up another style after reading--I find that I slip right back into my own style easily after rereading a few paragraphs I've written. No, it's that once I've become involved with another writer's book, my own really feels boring to me until I can disengage with the one I'm reading. The best way to do that is to read really, really fast.

So I've finished book #26 out of 50. Go me.

Unfortunately, reading a book in one sitting a lot of times means staying up really late to finish it. Since I'm one of those people who really needs a solid eight hours of sleep a night, that causes other problems. What to do, what to do? Well, for one thing, I plan to go to bed really early tonight. *smacks hand back from Cory Doctorow's For the Win, which I bought today*

4 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

I envy you and your reading ability. I am lucky to finish a book in three days while my average is more like two weeks.

K.C. Shaw said...

Well, you've got more going on in your life than I do. Once I'm home from work, I can basically read until I fall asleep. :)

Cate Gardner said...

I average 2 books a month and as a result my 'to read' pile terrifies me.

K.C. Shaw said...

My to be read pile terrifies me too. For every book I read, I somehow acquire two or three more.