Sunday, May 30, 2010

Worldbuilding Made Easy

Oh, man, I haven't posted since last Sunday. I'd plead a busy and interesting life, but, well.

I'm about 8,000 words into The Trickster Society. I'm finding it interesting to write--and, in some ways, really simple. I've set it in present-day Knoxville, Tennessee, because They say you should write what you know. Well, I know Knoxville. I lived there for about ten years and have worked there most of my adult life.

That makes it super easy to worldbuild. I don't have to make stuff up! It's right there for me to check on if I need a detail! This morning I drove into Knoxville and spent some time walking around in the Fort Sanders area and parts of the UT campus. I jotted down notes, particularly about things that have changed in the decade-plus since those were my stomping grounds, and particularly focused on places where I want to set a few scenes. It was fun and easy research, and quite pleasant on a sunny Sunday morning in late May.

I haven't set a book in the real world in a long time, and I've never set a book in a part of the real world I know thoroughly. If I'd known how damn easy it is, all my books would be set in Knoxville.

9 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

Oh no! You've learned my secret! (As if it helped me much...)

Fox Lee said...

I'm tempted to place much of what I write in Connecticut ; )

Word verification: Splat.

K.C. Shaw said...

Aaron--The secret's out! Hey, I'm naming one of my trickster characters Aaron after you. :)

Natalie--I recommend it! Besides, not enough books are set in Connecticut.

Paula RC said...

Funny enough I've been thinking about write something set in the place where I live. It got quiet a history to it with an old airfield which was used in the second world war.

I'm sure it could make an interesting read with the right plotline... but that's where I've trip up as I can't think of anything to get me excited enough to write it.

Good luck with yours, my dear friend

Cate Gardner said...

I've written one short story in my home town but nothing else. One day.

Alan W. Davidson said...

That's really helpful, having your research so close at hand!

K.C. Shaw said...

Jarmara--Everywhere is interesting. I'm actually already learning more about Knoxville than I thought I would, just by writing about it. Everyone should set a book or story in their hometown at least once!

Cate--One is more than none. (I am so clever.)

Alan--It makes me feel both lazy and virtuous. I'm doing research, but it's easy research.

Danielle Birch said...

Mostly the towns in my stories are fictional. I think I've used the city I live in just a couple of times.

K.C. Shaw said...

I'm the same way. And knowing me, I'll probably just keep making towns (and worlds) up after this book--but it sure it easy to write about what I know for this one.