Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I need about 50 subplots

I'm still having fun with The Taste of Magic, but I'm definitely to the point where I have to make some hard decisions about where it's going. I'm a third of the way in now. Events need to pick up and the plot needs to thicken a lot.

And since I have only three days until I have to write like a mad thing for Nano, I need to make my decisions now. Now! Nanow! Oh, I slay myself.

So that means subplots galore. It's okay, I can go back in and add stuff so the subplots don't appear out of nowhere (Nanowhere?). Maybe I'll throw a troll into the mix. Yeah, a troll! And, um, maybe Ana has a Secret Fear--no, wait, she already has a Secret Fear. Two Secret Fears is just stupid. Okay, then, I'll make the glass ruby she found into something Important! Of course, that means I have to go back and make sure it's not a coincidence when she finds it, which means also that I have to figure out its significance. And since I already have to figure out the significance of the tattoos, they're probably related. Oh, and what is going on with the attacks on the king's guards? Zeeda's a king's guard, so maybe he's going to end up in danger! And maybe I should bring out the theme of racism and classism in this world more than I've done so far. And the bad guy needs motivation, so maybe that all works in with the Themes! And maybe Ana kind of thinks he may be on the right path even though he's evil! Or not! Yeah! And a troll!

3 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Ooh, add a troll. I wanted to write a troll story earlier in the year but never got around to it, so you can do it for me. :)

And haven't you already been writing like mad? I mean 30,000 words - gulp!

Carrie Harris said...

If your plot needs to thicken a little, add flour.

I am so cool. I do cooking humor. ;)

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--trolls are awesome! Although the trolls in this world aren't monstery enough, really. I might have to work on them a little.

Carrie--Flour, my god! I didn't think of that! *runs for the flour jar* My troubles are over. :)