Monday, April 27, 2009

Happy about a book

Tomorrow is release day for Lisa Shearin's third book in the Raine Benares series, The Trouble with Demons. I am crazy excited about this one. Somehow, between reading the first book last fall and liking it okay, and reading the second book shortly thereafter and liking it a lot, and then rereading both books a few months later and loving them, I've turned into a rabid Lisa Shearin fangirl. I do not say this lightly, because I have very few authors on my (as they say) auto-buy list. I haven't even read Terry Pratchett's Nation yet, and I've been a Pratchett fan since back in the 80s when you had to mail-order his books because they weren't in U.S. book stores.

Anyway, so I'm excited about the book. It's great to be excited about a book coming out. I just wish books were released on weekends instead of Tuesdays. Don't these publishers know I work late on Tuesday nights? I'm planning a special trip to the book store tomorrow after work, which means I won't get home to read until probably close to nine, which means I'll be a zombie at work on Wednesday--because of course I'm going to stay up late to finish the book. (I thought about downloading it to my Sony reader instead of going by the store, but I want a paper copy. It's the sort of book that's perfect to shove in a pocket or purse to reread at odd moments, and I'm too careful with my ereader to let it bang around like that.)

So if you're interested in reading a fun, light, secondary world fantasy that's not epic (all of which seem to be a rarity lately, dammit), I recommend the series highly.

8 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Enjoy your book when you get it. :)

Aaron Polson said...

No other feeling can replace that anticipation...I hope the book lives up to your expectation.

Isn't Tuesday a random choice? Books, movies, and music are all usually released (for sale) on Tuesdays. I used to work at a book/movie/music store, and never really understood the logic.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I think they release them that day because in the past it is a night that television seems to have forgotten, although not so much lately. Still, an odd choice for a release date. Enjoy the read.

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--Thanks, I plan to, even if I end up staying up way past my bedtime.

Aaron--The author has been posting small excerpts on her blog, so I can already tell it'll be great. And Tuesday is so totally random, it's almost like they picked that day out of a hat. Maybe it had some significance at one time.

Jamie--Maybe that was it. I wonder when the Tuesday thing started; seems like it's fairly recent.

BT said...

In Australia, everything is released on a Thursday - so it must be totally random. I think we have Thursday so it lines up with the pension and welfare checks - it also happens to be my payday. Petrol also tends to go up on a Thursday :c(

It's nice to know people still get excited over a book release - and it's not left to just Twilight and Harry fans.

K.C. Shaw said...

Maybe it has something to do with a day starting with a T. More likely, it started with distribution logistics and then became standardized so that bookstores can plan for shipments. That's my guess, anyway.

Jameson T. Caine said...

I remember as a teen, I would get very excited at new movies, counting the days until they opened. Now I hardly raise an eyebrow. However, books still get me excited. When a favorite author has a new book, I get all giddy with anticipation.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jameson--I still get excited over movies too, although it has to be a really good movie. Nothing coming out this year excites me very much.