Friday, April 17, 2009

Waiting for the critique

I revised "The Neverstone" today at lunch and again when I got home from work. Then I saved it as a pdf and stuck it on my Sony reader so Mom can read it. She's working on it now.

I am torn between the "oh cool!" factor of using my ereader to help with my writing and the "oh gulp" factor of using my mom as an emergency beta reader. It's not that my mom doesn't like my writing, but she doesn't read much fantasy and doesn't really like it. I dread what she's going to say about the story. I basically just want to make sure it makes sense, doesn't have any gaping plot holes, and is entertaining. If it passes all those tests, I'll send it to the editor and go on with my life.

I am a bit concerned that I can hear the opening strains of the Star Wars music coming from Mom's bedroom, where I thought she was reading my story. I am pretty sure I did not embed any music in the file.

Update: Okay, it's passed the test and I've sent it off. If the editor asks for another rewrite, I'll tell him I died.

6 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

I hope you don't die. that would be bad.

And yet another reason I am edging toward the Sony product.

Aaron Polson said...

Hey...Star Wars theme music...that means she loved the story.

I'm sure he'll believe you if you tell him you died.

...wait...died?

K.C. Shaw said...

Jamie--I don't really want to die, although this story almost killed me. *rimshot*

Aaron--Maybe I should have told the editor to read the story while also watching Star Wars. Apparently it enhances the experience.

Jameson T. Caine said...

Maybe you should change the title from "The Neverstone" to "Never Again." ;)

Cate Gardner said...

Good luck, KC.

And if you're ever stuck for a beta reader feel free to send it to me without asking (my email is on my blog page).

K.C. Shaw said...

Jameson--I read your comment this morning before work and I kept smiling about it all day long. :)

Cate--Thanks! If I hadn't saddled myself with such a sudden have-to-get-this-done-now deadline, I might have inflicted the story on someone besides my mom. I'm glad I didn't, though. I still think the story probably isn't fit for human consumption.