Friday, November 6, 2009

1,061 words an hour

I have an hour for my lunch, and today (as I usually do) I pulled out my sandwich, chips, and spiral notebook to write while I ate. I figured I'd written maybe 500 words, but when I typed it up, I'd written 1,061 words. Nice! I didn't even realize I could write longhand that fast.

Of course it's rotten, wretched, horrible writing, and I suspect the next scenes are going to include a bounty hunter with a tame werewolf or something equally illogical, but it's engaging me reasonably well. I do intend to wrap it up right at 50,000 words when I get there instead of making this a full-length novel.

Mostly, I want to get back to my Bell-Men rewrites. Even when I'm actively writing The Dragon Whisperer, I catch myself thinking of the next scene I want to include in Bell-Men. That's where my interest really lies. Much as I'm enjoying hanging out with May and the maybe-pirate Petersen, I want to return to Cam and her troubles even more.

9 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Wow, that is impressive : ) When I try to write longhand, I cramp up after two seconds.

K.C. Shaw said...

I write with Pilot Precise pens whenever I can by preference, and never ever with regular old ballpoints. That makes a big difference. That and the ability to read my own terrible handwriting. :)

Diana said...

Woot! That is impressive!

Cate Gardner said...

Very impressive, I also love how Bell-Men won't leave you alone.

K.C. Shaw said...

Diana--Thanks!

Cate--Yeah, I suspect Bell-Men's going to occupy my brain for the next several months until it's rewritten/revised to my satisfaction. I'm looking forward to it, although not to writing the query and synopsis afterwards.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I can't think that fast, let alone write it down. Go You!

Aaron Polson said...

A good sign (wanting to return to the other book). I wish I could write via keyboard 1K an hour.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jamie--Oh, thinking doesn't come into it at all, trust me. :)

Aaron--I suspect my noveling speed is about the same whether I'm typing or writing longhand.

LMEighmy said...

Wow! My hand would be all cramped up. Way to go! :D

I know how you feel. Even though I'm really, really into the novel I'm working on, there have been times I've been in your situation. I feel for you!