Friday, November 20, 2009

Almost there...almost there...

Yes, okay, I'm not finished with my NaNo book yet. I've been writing steadily on it, though, working hard to wrap it up with a reasonable ending.

I reread the whole thing for the first time yesterday, and you know what? It's actually pretty good. That's the main reason why I decided to take a little more time to finish it; the beginning is so promising, and the follow-through not bad either, that it seemed a shame to rush the ending just to get it done. That's essentially what I did with Bell-Men, when I was trying to finish it before NaNo, and now I'm having to rewrite the last third of that book. I'd rather do a good job the first time.

Besides, I think I can finish tomorrow.

13 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Reasonable endings have been tricky for me lately : P

K.C. Shaw said...

Well, there's a lot to be said for an unreasonable ending too. :)

Aaron Polson said...

Hooray for read-throughs and revelations!

Jamie Eyberg said...

I think you would have to try really hard to write a bad story. I don't think you have it in you.

K.C. Shaw said...

Aaron--I dunno about the hooray right now. I have too much I want to be working on besides this at the moment. But later, yes, I'll shout hooray. :)

Jamie--You have obviously never read the first half of White Rose that I wrote last year. That was a very bad story indeed.

Danielle Birch said...

Good times.

K.C. Shaw said...

And I finished the nano book today at 40,000 words, woohoo! Now I can go back to Bell-Men.

Carrie Harris said...

The fact that you are finishing early boggles my mind.

K.C. Shaw said...

I still have several thousand words to go, I'm just not writing them on the original document. I feel obscurely that I'm cheating.

Anne Spollen said...

Ever notice how writing fast brings out the hidden bipolar in each of us?

Minute One: It's awful

then

Minute Two: Hey, This isn't half bad.

It's all perspective. And I can't believe you're near done -- there's like a week left!

K.C. Shaw said...

Sometimes I can believe a story is simultaneously junk and wonderful. It's a wonder writers' heads don't explode all the time.

There's a week left in nano, sure, but I have family in so I'm not going to be getting much writing done this week, I'm afraid.

Danielle Birch said...

You've finished! Woo Hoo! Well done.

K.C. Shaw said...

It's terrible, but it's done. :)