Monday, November 30, 2009

everything here smells like skunk

Finally, November is over. NaNo is over. I may change my mind next year, but I don't think I'll be doing NaNo again--I've done and won five times now, and I don't really need it to keep me writing the way I used to. In fact, this year it was a bit of a detriment. I had to stop progress on Bell-Men to do NaNo; I could be done with the rewrite by now if I hadn't.

Oh well, it's all good. I'm closing in on the last of the Bell-Men rewrites. I expect to finish in another week or two, and then I can relax and do some reading before picking it up again for another editing pass.

Hey! I've about decided that the last week of December is going to have to be a short story frenzy write-in! I've only got one story out right now and I really need to write more. If you're interested in joining me, I might start a blog for it pretty soon so we've all got a place to congregate. Ideas welcome!

I didn't sell any stories this month--not a big surprise, since I only have that one story out. I wrote the abysmal The Dragon Whisperer, which needs a lot of work to make it readable. Maybe I'll make 2010 the year of rewrites and editing.

11 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

I can't imagine how you managed five years in a row. Ouch. I'd love a short story write in, but being that I'm off work with the kids...no promises.

After Jack of All Trades, I'm really itching for a crack at Bell Men.

Alan W. Davidson said...

I think that you reached your own diagnosis (Dr. kate)

The purpose of the NaNo is to get one writing, but I think you no longer need that aid. Once it gets in the way of your other writing commitments, it's time to part ways (and congrats on finishing to both you and your mum.)

K.C. Shaw said...

Aaron--Bell-Men is about as different from Jack of All Trades as is possible, actually.

Alan--Congrats to you too! I like Nano, and maybe next year I'll be in a better position to do it. Then again, maybe I'll be one of the cheerleaders instead.

BT said...

I can't make the write-in but I'm there with the 2010 rewrite side of things.

As soon as I've finished with Dark pages, I'm back on Inner Voice and revising some of my current batch of shorts. I can't see me delving into something new for some time to come.

K.C. Shaw said...

I'm the same way, at least with longer work. I've got so many manuscripts I need to polish at the moment that I don't need to start anything new unless it's really short.

Fox Lee said...

Five years??? Wow : )

Cate Gardner said...

I'm dedicating the whole of December to writing short stories. That way, I'll be able to settle down and finish Grim Glass Vein in Jan/Feb. I think. I hope.

K.C. Shaw said...

Natalie--Yeah, I'm a little over it by now. :)

Cate--I've got to finish my Bell-Men rewrites before I can start writing short stories, and I know the holidays will mess up my schedule too. I figure that last week of 2009 will be pretty quiet, and I have the whole week off work too. I can just write until I'm sick.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I would love to dedicate part of this month to shorts, but I have so many longer stories that need a ton of work I don't know if I can do it. Of course, I don't know if I will get the longer stories done either.

Danielle Birch said...

I'll probably be offline for the last week of December and the first week of January, but I'm keen on the year of rewrites and editing.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jamie--I will probably end up writing half a flash story and then I'll give it up and go back to novels.

Danielle--I can't imagine going offline for more than, like, an hour. I'd probably die.