Sunday, November 15, 2009

Other people suck (present company excepted)

I just went through my files to find an old story to rewrite or a WIP to finish that might catch my fancy. I'm so bored with my NaNo book that the mere thought of writing one single word on it today makes me want to take an axe to the computer. Alas, I can't find anything else I want to work on either.

I know, I know, I ought to go back and finish the rewrites for Bell-Men. But my current reluctance to write, and my loathing of my NaNo book, are directly related to stress. I'd just open up the Bell-Men document and reach for the axe too. Until my stress eases up (it's about work, and I'm hoping to get it resolved tomorrow, which I dread because it involves confrontation), I doubt I'll be racking up many words. It's infuriating that this is happening now, during NaNo, but at least now that I've figured out what the problem is, I know it's not the project itself that's failing to hold my interest.

You know what my idea of bliss is? Working for myself, by myself, without needing to deal with other human beings in person at all. Other people are self-absorbed jerks.

Of course you're not a self-absorbed jerk. It's all those other people.

12 comments:

BT said...

Write a wildly dark fantasy short story that allows you to blow up a self absorbed jerk - and then send it to Dark Pages Anthology V1

:c)

Or go to the local picture theatre and watch something new and enjoy a choc-topped icecream cone on me (I'll have to owe you, but I'm good for it).

K.C. Shaw said...

I was going to see that Pirate Radio movie this afternoon, but it was such a nice day that I decided it would be better to go hiking. Then I ended up not going hiking. I'll definitely go see a movie Thursday when I'm off work, though. Hopefully by then I can really relax. :)

Danielle Birch said...

I can relate. Sometimes I don't feel at all friendly towards certain people. I agree with BT - blow someone up.

K.C. Shaw said...

I've opened my NaNo book up and I'm about to have the bounty hunter get eaten by the dragon, I think. I'll pretend the bounty hunter is everyone at work who is making my life difficult.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Become friends with a biker gang, or the mob, and tell them all your troubles. It works for me. ;)

K.C. Shaw said...

Hehe, that should take care of it. At least it would make me feel better. :)

I just got out of my meeting regarding the issue and nothing's been resolved, but at least I was able to vent a little.

Cate Gardner said...

I hate it when life goes all sucky on you. I hope it's all resolved soon.

Anonymous said...

My friend was irritated with somebody, and she wrote a long, long NaNoNovel chapter where they were tortured for many hours with a pool cue.

Just sayin'.

-Mercedes

Kate Shaw said...

Cate--I'm feeling a lot better now that I was able to talk about it this morning (although it hasn't been resolved yet). I'm even feeling more enthusiastic about my nano book now.

Mercedes--A pool cue, eek. My imagination is leading me down horrible avenues, some of which may make it into my nano book, muahahaha.

Diana said...

My suggestion was already taken. Just incorporate said jerks into your novel, then torture and kill them. :) You kill two birds with one stone, release pent up stress and add words to your nano novel.

Anne Spollen said...

Freelance writing anyone?

K.C. Shaw said...

Diana--Someone's going to end up eaten by werewolves, I can tell.

Anne--I wish! Maybe ten or fifteen years down the road. :)