Thursday, January 14, 2010

At least now I can hear

I woke up at 2am with a searing sore throat--just on the left side of my throat, which I know from previous experience means (for me) a middle ear infection. I managed to get back to sleep, but I had bad dreams wherein I was being chased by vampires. So I had the fun fun fun of going to the doctor this morning. I only go to the doctor for emergencies, and a possible ear infection counts as an emergency.

This lolcat will demonstrate the same discomfort I feel around doctors:


So I had my ears cleaned out (which they needed a lot, apparently; I no longer feel like my head is packed with cotton) and sure enough, I have an ear infection. Fortunately, I got to the doctor right away and the infection is still mild--not like last time, when I thought I just had a bad sore throat, and didn't go to the doctor until the infection had spread to both ears and my eyes ew ew ew ew ew.

I went ahead and took the whole day off work. I'm eating soup and amoxicillin, and I'm thinking about finishing Bell-Men today. Why not?

16 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Gulp! My sore throat is laryngitis, I'm sure and nothing nasty like an ear infection...

Get well soon.

K.C. Shaw said...

Yikes, laryngitis! I hope your throat gets better soon too!

Jamie Eyberg said...

I used to have blazing ear infections as a child. My Dr. is amazed I can hear out of one of my ears anymore. Get to feeling better soon and good luck with finishing bellmen.

K.C. Shaw said...

I had terrible ear infections as a kid too. I grew out of them around 12 years old, but in my mid-20s I had a bad case of the flu (possibly walking pneumonia--I didn't have health insurance so I didn't go to the doctor) that ended with an ear infection, and ever since I've been prone to them again. Darn it.

I'm going to go to bed for a few hours, but I'm taking a notebook with me so I can jot down ideas on how to end Bell-Men this time.

Aaron Polson said...

Ear infections are most definately a cause for the doctor. I had one last year that lasted around four months. Ugh.

Get. Well. Soon.

K.C. Shaw said...

Four months! Ugh indeed. I'm glad I went to the doctor so I can get this knocked out quickly.

Fox Lee said...

Channel that ear pain into glorious fiction! : )

K.C. Shaw said...

Hopefully not painful fiction. :)

Danielle Birch said...

Hope you're better soon. And maybe those dreams could be channelled into a story.

K.C. Shaw said...

I think my dreams last night were at least partly inspired by Bell-Men, since it's full of vampires. Maybe I could give Cam a sore throat. :)

BT said...

Get better very soon (you too, Cate).

K.C. Shaw said...

Thanks! I'm sipping peppermint tea now, which is helping my poor throat. And after work tomorrow I have a three-day weekend to recover in, although I hadn't expected to spend it feeling bad.

LMEighmy said...

I think I'm one of the lucky ones to have never had an ear infection. I hope you feel better soon!

K.C. Shaw said...

I hope you never ever have an ear infection. At least the ones I get now don't give me earaches. Earaches are the worst.

Richard said...

Been a couple of days; ears and throat getting better?

K.C. Shaw said...

Oh, yeah, I'm doing much better. It got beautifully warm today so I went out to Clear Creek for a little bit of hiking, in fact.

Obviously I need to update my blog.