Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bring on the rewards

Hey, I did it! I finished the Bell-Men rewrite yesterday at long, long last. It sucks, and I'm going to have to do a lot of editing, but it's done. Again.

I'm going to give it a rest for a while and see if I can manage a short story or two first, though. I spent last night and today editing The Price of Justice, the novella I wrote a year and a half ago and haven't done much with. When I read it last night, I realized its main problem was that the main character, Coral, just isn't very likeable. I worked hard today to make her a little less neurotic and a little more warm. I also added a short but vital scene halfway through. I'm not sure if it's much better, but at least I worked on it.

Now I need to come up with some short story ideas.

12 comments:

BT said...

You could always try and come up with something for the PARSEC anthology...

BT said...

Sorry - here's the info:

http://www.parsec-sff.org/contest/contest10.html

Theme: The Color of Silence

Fox Lee said...

Huzzah!

Now go indulge yourself in some shorts : )

K.C. Shaw said...

BT--Oh, cool, maybe I will try for that. That's a fascinating theme. Thanks!

Natalie--Yeah! Wait, what?

Jamie Eyberg said...

Why is it that whatever Nat says we can misconstrue and turn into something dirty?

Good luck with the novella. one of my favorite lengths.

Cate Gardner said...

Ooh, congrats on Bell-Men and enjoy the novella.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jamie--I like novellas too. They're long enough to really get into the characters and world, short enough to read in a sitting.

Cate--Thanks!

LMEighmy said...

Congratulations! :D

I'll be cutting a lot of garbage from my latest story. Once that's done, I'll start over with what little bit I'll have left. It's a lot of work, but I love the character and the story idea (even though it's not much). I'm actually looking forward to it. :)

K.C. Shaw said...

(Blogger ate my first response, so I'll try again.)

That's great! There's something really satisfying about paring words from a draft to improve it. Have fun!

Aaron Polson said...

Novellas are fun. Done is good, and this "done" has been a long time coming.

K.C. Shaw said...

Yeah, except I'm still not actually done done. I'm just not satisfied with how it's turning out. Until it's the best I can possibly make it, I'm not going to say it's actually done. Alas.

Unknown said...

I'm always envious of your novel writing skills. here's to a job well done and finsihed quickly!