Thursday, January 28, 2010

The snow is coming!

Evidently we're going to get just piles and oodles of snow tomorrow night into Saturday. Really! This time they really mean it and it's not going to fizzle and turn out to be half an inch that melts off in two hours. In fact, it sounds like my little town is going to get hit with between 3" and a foot of snow, depending on who you listen to.

I'm...skeptical. Still, I spent the day getting prepared: $70+ worth of groceries, car's oil change, a big basket full of kindling brought inside to dry out, the stack of firewood on the front porch replenished and covered with a tarp. I'm about to saddle soap my hiking boots and put them in the car along with a wool blanket, just in case. Because of course I have to work tomorrow and the college may or may not let us out early.

I was so busy getting prepared, and reading cuteoverload.com, that I couldn't do any reading today and hardly any writing. Hopefully I'll be snowed in for days and can do a lot of both (along with a lot of lounging around in my pajamas and watching old movies on TV).

12 comments:

Danielle Birch said...

We're supposed to get rain here but I'll believe it when I see it.

K.C. Shaw said...

Maybe I can box up some of this snow and send it to you. By the time it gets to you, it'll be rain!

Fox Lee said...

I also enjoy cute overload : ) The baby animals balance out my otherwise lewd personality.

K.C. Shaw said...

I'd managed to keep away from it until today. Then I followed a link to the baby dik-dik deer and I was lost for a couple of hours.

Aaron Polson said...

You can have all the snow that you want. Our piles are mostly melted and I'd like them to stay that way.

Enjoy!

Arlee Bird said...

Gosh, wouldn't it be rotten if there was so much snow that the power went off for a few days. I've seen it happen!

Alan W. Davidson said...

Wow! You get snow in Tennessee? And enough for a snow day (my son usually gets five or six days off school each year for snow days).

K.C. Shaw said...

Aaron--I'm getting excited about the snow now that it looks like we're really going to get some. I'm sure I'll feel differently after the second day of being snowed in.

arlee--that happened here in 1996 when we had a freak snowstorm that dumped 6+ inches of snow on us. My mom said she had just had a rick of firewood delivered the day before and she had to burn every stick of it before the power came back on. I'm very glad she had a fireplace (and that we have one in this house too).

Alan--They close the schools if they see a snowflake. Actually, since we're so close to the mountains we usually get one decent snow a year (decent snow = 1-2 inches). We're overdue for a big snow like this.

Cate Gardner said...

Well there was I feeling all cocky that we wouldn't get snow again and guess what - it's snowing. Sob!

Jamie Eyberg said...

I still have an 8 ft drift in my yard. It will be there until June with my luck. Hope it doesn't get too bad out your way.

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--I guess snow is catching. It's the weather equivalent of a cold. (Oh, there's a pun in there.)

Jamie--You could build it into a castle and have a truly monumental snowball fight.

LMEighmy said...

I'm originally from the northeast. Up there, you have to have a whole lot more than a foot of snow to be snowed in. ;) I hope you enjoy the snow, at any rate. :D