Monday, September 1, 2008

book 4 of this binge

Sad, I know, that my August book binge only consisted of four books. I just didn't have enough time to read, what with preparing for the contest. There are still a lot of books in the "to be read" pile. I'll get to them eventually.

Day Shift Werewolf by Jan Underwood was a 3-day novel contest winner a few years ago, and I finally read it last night after I finished my own entry. I bought it for the title, but I'm very glad I did. It's funny, sweet, and at times poignant. It's a good read.

It consists of eight lightly-connected stories, each about a different misfit monster. The day shift werewolf is one. So is the curious zombie, the witch with too many cats, the "demon with a hidden human" (as it says on the back cover). I can't even give the subjects of some of the stories because finding out who's narrating--they're all in first person--is part of the fun. Underwood does a good job differentiating the voices for each narrator.

Best of all, it's a novella, just 80 pages long and a quick read. But there's plenty to it, and I keep thinking about the different characters. I think my favorite is the last story, which finishes the book so perfectly, but--well, I must say the witch with 17 cats was pretty darn funny.

2 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Sounds like a good book - I'll have to check that one out.

K.C. Shaw said...

I think you'd really like it. It's got the same sort of playful, clever use of tropes that I see in your fiction.