Wednesday, September 24, 2008

He's so adorable!

ZOMG guy-who-looks-just-like-Alex came into the testing center while I was working today and I got to talk to him!

For the uninitiated, Alex is a very minor character in a book I revised this spring. The guy-who-looks-just-like-Alex is a student at the college where I work as a test proctor, and as you may have guessed, he looks just like the minor character Alex--to a degree that it is actually eerie. In addition, I noticed that he seems very happy to be in school, so I've sort of been keeping an eye out for him (in a non-creepy way, I promise) and sending good thoughts his way.

I'm happy to report that he is a very nice guy, just like his namesake. He didn't argue about the testing center policies like so many people do, and cheerfully solved the dilemma of all his stuff not fitting in the lockers we provide for students' stuff, without complaining at all. I did, of course, offer to show him how the lockers work--which I often do for students if we're not busy, because those lockers really are kind of weird--and held his calculator while he put his things away. He kept up a pleasant running commentary and apologized for taking up my time. I so badly wanted to say, "Oh, no problem--I can't wait to get home and blog about you under the 'stalker' label!"

Yeah. I think I just crossed the line into creepy.

I know his name now, or at least his first name (because I never pay attention to last names and anyway his is unusual). I wish I could report that it's Alex, but no luck. I won't tell you his name, of course, but I know I'll end up using it as a character name eventually. I won't be able to help myself.

3 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Ha! I love that you used the tag 'stalker'.

K.C. Shaw said...

I just hope the guy doesn't stumble upon my blog and freak out. Not that there's much chance of that, but still--I'd like to keep my job. :)

Carrie Harris said...

Ditto what Cate said. I'm still laughing. :)