Monday, September 22, 2008

Names I can't use

At lunch I was reading the fantastic Baby Name Wizard blog and came across the name Shiloh. As a result, I've had the Neil Diamond song of the same title stuck in my head all afternoon now.

Same with two stories I'm working on, one titled "Long Way Home" and the other "Underground." Both inflict me with Norah Jones earworms for long after I've stopped work on the story. Fortunately, I really like Norah Jones--but what if I didn't?

So now I realize that in addition to all the other naming restrictions I hang upon myself, like the one where I won't use the same name for two characters even if they're in completely different stories, I have to be more careful about names (or titles) that might conjure up songs. There are a lot of songs out there and only so many names I like.

2 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

I have nothing useful to say here, but I had to comment, because the phrase "Norah Jones earworms" deserves an award or something. Hilarious!

K.C. Shaw said...

Lol, I hadn't thought of it that way. I actually think earworm is the most disgusting term in the world. Well, maybe not THE most, but right up there.