Sunday, September 28, 2008

The rest is still unwritten

Catherine J. Gardner posted a fun meme: Find a song that sums up what you think it means to be a writer and post the lyrics on your blog and why you've chosen it. It doesn't have to be your favourite song, it just has to express how you feel about writing and/or being a writer. It can be literal, metaphorical, about a particular form or aspect of writing - whatever you want. Then tag 5 others to do the same (reprint these instructions).

Mine's Natasha Bedingford's "Unwritten."

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find
Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

Well, it's pretty obvious, isn't it? I happen to really like this song, too, and have it on CD. It's a cheerful, unbeat song that makes me feel excited about the possibilities in the writing life instead of just worried that I actually kind of suck at it.

Now that Nano's only a few short weeks away, I need to find that CD.

Oh, and I hate tagging people, so take this and run with it if you find it fun.

2 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

WOW! That's just about perfect.

K.C. Shaw said...

Yeah, I feel like I cheated. :)