Saturday, August 30, 2008

19 hours in

I'm more than halfway through chapter 3, over 6,700 words typed and another maybe-thousand untyped, and the story has grabbed me by the heart and head and won't let go. Thank goodness! I was worried it would turn out soulless, nothing but a finger exercise. Now I know it's good.

I had crab rangoons for supper. I thought they were microwavable, but it turns out I had to use the oven to cook them. My oven is awful, awfulawfulawful. It's like trying to cook in a volcano. The directions said to cook the rangoons at 400 for 10 minutes. I set the oven to just under 350 and cooked them for five minutes, and they still burned a little. They were okay--not as good as the ones at Harvest Moon, my favorite cheap Chinese food place. Unfortunately, I also burned myself--just slightly--on the oven door. I have a nearly limitless capacity to hurt myself in baffling ways.

I need to take a break, but I want to finish chapter 3 first. But there's still a lot of stuff to put into this chapter--the meal with Dominick, Dominick's attempt to kiss poor messed-up Hilda, the payment of the entry fee so Justice can enter the tournament, and finally a minor info-dump about Justice's past. I'd better get to it.

2 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

I knew you'd pull it out of the bag.

K.C. Shaw said...

Hehe, I was worried I'd thought it over too much before I started writing. Guess not!