Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Random nattering

I took a walk around town tonight, in the humid post-tropical-storm evening. I love the way it smells after rain. The kudzu growing at the mouth of Sawmill Road* is blooming, and if you've never smelled kudzu blooming, go to the store and buy a grape-flavored Jolly Rancher and open it. Kudzu flowers smell like grape candy, only better. I'm not sure what it is about plants originally from Japan, but they all seem to smell nice. The empress tree (which I think is called princess tree in other regions) blooms in early spring and smells like incense--absolutely stunning, exotic, delicious incense. I'd like to visit Japan and just walk around smelling the plants.

I did intend to write a flash story or two this week to keep my hand in before the contest, but I can't think of anything. So I'm just going to hope that I'm so ridiculously competitive--which I am--that I will write and write and write this weekend even if every word has to be forced out of my brain. My outline is covered with scribbled notes. I feel like I've mentally written this novel already.

Tonight's vegetable: green beans.

*Yes, the same Sawmill Road of the story, which had only a gloss of fictionalization applied.

No comments: