Monday, August 25, 2008

Outline worries

I'm a bit worried that my outline is too ambitious. It's hard to tell, though, because I wrote the outline in paragraph form instead of my usual half dozen words per chapter. It's more of a synopsis than an outline, really. I had to do it that way to make sure I don't forget anything while writing it--I won't have time to go back and add much before the three days are up.

There are twelve chapters, one paragraph per. I gave each chapter its own page and printed it off, and now I'm going to go over it and make notes. I keep thinking up details I want to add. I wonder if I'm the first person to enter who is not just writing a book, but who has built an entire new fantasy world solely for the book. I started pretty much from scratch at the beginning of August and the world feels pretty rich to me, and it's different from anything I've tried before. Even if the book turns out terrible, at least I've got a new world to play in.

I guess this time next week I'll be desperately trying to finish up so I can get a decent night's sleep. I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

Speaking of which, tonight's vegetable: okra.

2 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

The word synopsis is like nails scratching down a blackboard.

I often outline chapters in paragraph form before delving into a book - they always change of course.

K.C. Shaw said...

I expect mine to change too, probably a lot. It's not a well-written synopsis, though. I wouldn't let any other person in the world see it!