Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Flowers and Words

Ah, Wednesday night. So much better than Tuesday night.

Everything's blooming like crazy around here: Bradford pears, weeping cherry trees, daffodils, forsythia bushes, hyacinths, the tough little pansies in the side azalea bed that survived the winter. The trees are turning green and people's lawns are emerald now. Tomorrow I look forward to washing my filthy filthy car and hiking up in Clear Creek, not necessarily in that order.

Tomorrow I also need to get some writing done. I haven't done a lot of writing since I finished Blood and Taxes, but I'm several thousand words into Little Sparrow and I need to buckle down and get back into the habit of writing every single day. I've also got e-proofs of Jack of All Trades that I absolutely must go over and correct. So even though I'm off work tomorrow, tomorrow is a work day.

Well, except for the hiking part.

8 comments:

Jeremy D Brooks said...

Nice...sounds like fun. We're close to it being too hot here to do outside activities, so we're enjoying it too.

K.C. Shaw said...

I would say there's no such thing as too hot, but I don't live out your way. But honestly, I think I'm related to Mr. Heatmiser or something. I never want to see a day that's under sixty degrees.

BT said...

Come live in Australia and see if you like it hot.

Green grass - what's that? Everything is brown around here from the constant years of drought. We have a little rain and it's almost gone before it hits the ground. Can someone send me a picture of a puddle, I can't remember what they look like either. :c(

Still, I'm glad to hear it's nice somewhere on the planet.

K.C. Shaw said...

Drought is scary. :( East Tennessee is an amazingly lush area with tons of rain, but we had a (relatively mild) drought in 2007 and we're still recovering.

Cate Gardner said...

You've just reminded me that I am going to have to get the lawnmower out soon. There are so many good things about winter. :(

Jamie Eyberg said...

Soon I will have 2.5 acres to mow and trees to cut down and more to plant. I just hope my garden isn't as much work as last year. Nothing blooming here yet though.

Carrie Harris said...

We're just sprouting up here in Michigan. We'll have plenty of time for things to start growing before it freezes again in late April. Because it will, darn it.

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--Nope, sorry, can't agree with you there. The only good thing about winter is snow, and we hardly get any here.

Jamie--2.5 acres, nice! Although I wouldn't want to mow it. You should get a pair of sheep!

Carrie--We usually get a "dogwood winter" in April too, a nasty little freeze that hits right about the time the dogwoods are blooming.