Monday, March 23, 2009

A frightening lack of ideas

Earlier this evening I suddenly had the urge to write a short story. I let the moment pass--mostly because I have no short story ideas ready to go at the moment--but it's an encouraging sign. I really want to write more short fiction, but I usually have to drag myself to the keyboard to do it. I'd much rather write novels.

Now I just have to dredge up an idea. It's weird how I have a million novel ideas, but absolutely nothing for short stories. You'd think it'd be the other way round.

Maybe I'll try stripping out the good ideas from "Never Be Alone" and reworking them into a fantasy short story instead of SF. Also I'll make it fun instead of gloomy. I was going to do that and make it a novel, but it might work better as a short story.

8 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

Can we trade? I'd like some novel ideas; most of mine tucker out after 5K words (or less).

Jameson T. Caine said...

It seems to be catching. I've sat here all night trying to work up an idea for a short story and the only thing I've conjured up in my head is the image of a cheese puff monster.

Cate Gardner said...

I'm having the opposite problem at the moment - I'm trying to ignore the call of the short story.

K.C. Shaw said...

Aaron--Alas, I suspect it's more in the execution than in the idea itself. I'm just a long-winded writer now, I guess.

Jameson--That might work! Maybe the cheese puff monster is upset because no one's scared of it. People smile when they see it instead!

Cate--I wish I had that problem right now! I don't think I've ever had that problem, in fact.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I don't have any short story ideas at the moment either. Oh, wait, I do have one idea for Knost's Christmas horror antho I am working the details out on.

K.C. Shaw said...

Themed anthologies are always a help to me idea-wise. They give me a starting place to attach thoughts, if that makes any sense.

Carrie Harris said...

Nothing wrong with a little long-windedness. Although having said that, I keep thinking about short stories too. Maybe it's the company we keep. ;)

K.C. Shaw said...

Bad influences, that's it! :)