Wednesday, March 11, 2009

of two minds

I finished the stupid, awful, horrible, stinking time travel story at last. It's almost 8,000 words long, which will give you an idea of how out of control it got. It just flopped all over the place, and now I have to cut some three thousand words and tighten the story up and basically make it stop stinking.

But I'll do that tomorrow. Tonight I'm indulging myself by working on my new project. I haven't started writing it, but I expect to get at least a few thousand words in tonight. I know what I want to do with the first chapter.

I was thinking about that first chapter and realized, with a great jolt, that I may end up telling the story from two alternating points of view. I am slightly aghast at myself. Then again, such a thing seems to be more and more common lately, and it will free me up to let the two main characters get separated during parts of the plot. It's just that I'm so vocal in my dislike of writers who switch viewpoints during a book! No one will take my ranting seriously anymore now.

12 comments:

K.C. Shaw said...

But no one takes your ranting seriously as it is!

Okay, I've said it, no one else has to.

Aaron Polson said...

Yes, but...

You know what you don't like about switching POV, so do it differently, right?

New projects are fun.

K.C. Shaw said...

Admittedly, I don't mind when writers switch between two characters (as long as they do it right instead of just head-hopping). I'll try and do it right.

I love new projects! This one should be interesting to write, too.

Jameson T. Caine said...

But no one takes...er...nevermind.

Yay! Congrats on finishing your time travel story! That must be a huge relief.

K.C. Shaw said...

Ha! It would be a huge relief if it was any good. But at least it is done, and I can knock it into shape tomorrow.

Jameson T. Caine said...

Tomorrow...or perhaps yesterday? ;)

K.C. Shaw said...

Believe me, if I could go back in time and finish the stupid thing (or better yet, never start it), I would!

That reminds me of something I heard the other day: "The best time to plant a tree is ten years ago. The next best time is now." :)

Cate Gardner said...

Apart from 2 early books and my TPA, all my books have been from a few viewpoints. And the book I'm currently reading 'Unwind' by Neil Shusterman is from three main pov's plus a few other minor characters dotted around the place. The book is without doubt brilliant, so I guess it all depends on the writer.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Multiple POV is not bad, when done properly, in fact I enjoy books like that. Good luck on the new story and I am glad you finished your time travel piece. :)

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--Yeah, it all depends on the writer. And I'll only have two viewpoint characters to keep track of, not a slew of them. A lot of really good books I've read lately have switched viewpoints successfully, so I'm ready to try it.

Jamie--If only the time travel piece was revised and sent off and accepted now! But yeah, at least it's finished.

Richard said...

I don't listen to anyone who buys a $300 ereader just to buy $10 books later. 8-)

K.C. Shaw said...

Yeah, you're just jealous! :)