Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Comfort reading

August is probably the most stressful and exhausting time of the year if you work at a college, which I do. Today I got growled at by a student when I told her she had to put her cell phone up in a locker or her car before she could take her placement test.

If you think growling is an appropriate response to having to follow testing center policies, maybe you are not quite ready for college.

Also, I was so tempted to growl back.

When I sat down to lunch today and realized all I had to entertain me for the next hour was an overpriced Subway club and a notebook that was all sticky with peach juice (I forgot the peach was even in my bag, okay?), I could have cried. I would have done just about anything to have my battered old copy of Watership Down in front of me. Man, I need comfort reading in the worst way this week. Preferably the type of book where if someone growls at another character, that character beats the shit out of the growler.

15 comments:

Jameson T. Caine said...

I go through life wishing I could growl and beat the shit out of people.

K.C. Shaw said...

We should start a club.

Danielle Birch said...

I'm in.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I miss managing a pool hall.

Diana said...

LOL ... when I growl at people they run for cover. I never get a chance to beat the shit out of the ones who deserve it ...

Cate Gardner said...

Oh, I growl at people all the time - I just make sure I put the phone down before doing it. ;)

K.C. Shaw said...

Danielle--We can print up T-shirts and everything.

Jamie-- eek, that is not a job I'd want. Although it would look really cool on a resume.

Diana--I think you'd make a fine test proctor. :)

Cate--If you forget to put the phone down first, you can always cover by saying, "I'm sorry? We seem to have some interference on the line."

Aaron Polson said...

The only one who growls around here is the three-year-old, and he's about as threatening as a bowl of tapioca pudding.

K.C. Shaw said...

I don't know, I find tapioca anything terrifying. Or at least repulsive. :)

Danielle Birch said...

T-shirts = yes.

Alan W. Davidson said...

I'm hoping the rest of the week has gone better for you. You should growl back anyway (but I know, that's probably in your job desciption!)

Alan W. Davidson said...

Oops! I'll contradict/correct what I just said..."that's probably not in your job description."

K.C. Shaw said...

Danielle--Another T-shirt would mean doing laundry a day later! Or two days. :)

Alan--Heck, for all I know it is in my job description. I'm certainly feeling like growling right now--about to give a placement test and I'm not sure this room's computers are going to work properly.

Unknown said...

thats one of my all time favorite books! when ppl ask me the awkward question of "what is your favorite book" i blabble on for a while about how that question is unfair and unanswerable before finally saying giving watership down as a title! Favorite book, eh, but i do love those brave rabbits.

K.C. Shaw said...

I have the same paperback I bought when I was about twelve. I've read it so often it's falling apart and held together with tape. I love it too, obviously. :)