Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Stickers and Tears

I got paid for a story today, which has made me reckless with money. I went out to Walmart to buy the sticker-maker I saw this weekend, and while I was standing there reading the back of the box, I thought, "Wait, all I really need is a box of round sticky labels that I can use in my printer. Duh."

So I didn't get the $20 sticker-maker. But despite a whole five minutes searching the web, I can't find any round white adhesive labels about 2" across that come on sheets that can be put in the printer. Anyone have any ideas? It seems like that would be a pretty common thing to use in craft projects, but I thought the same about blank bookmarks and they were A) really hard to find and B) cost $4 for 20, which is just ridiculous for die-cut white cardstock.

The new Ghost Hunters starts soon, and I'm unexpectedly emotional as a result. For the last several months, every Wednesday night me, my mom, and my cat Angel (and my other cat Vincent too, although he wasn't as interested) would sit down together and watch Ghost Hunters. Now Angel is gone, and I am crying over a stupid TV show that my cat did not really watch, she just wanted to hang out with the people eating snack food. I've been hugging Vincent a lot and sniffling.

No ghost cat jokes, I mean it. Emo sticker-less person here ready to snap back.

(Oh yeah, if you haven't already, don't forget to post a comment here to enter the Jack of All Trades contest.)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about Angel. Losing a pet is always difficult. You have a nice group of followers who won't say anything that isn't supportive. :)

Do you have a Learning Is Fun center where you are? They have all sorts of things like that. Maybe talk to a teacher and see where they get their supplies.

-Mercedes

Cate Gardner said...

*Hugs*

K.C. Shaw said...

Mercedes--Ooh, I hadn't even thought of a teacher supply store! We have a big one in Knoxville. Thanks!

Cate--*hugs back* Thanks.

Unknown said...

oh KC. don't worry we've been there. I miss my cat still sometimes, and its been almost a couple of years.

what about like michaels? yup that's the only place i can think of. not a whole lot to contribute there :^)

K.C. Shaw said...

I was in Michael's and Joanne's (a very similar store) last weekend looking for blank bookmarks and didn't see anything like stickers. I might drop by there again, though. I haven't checked Hobby Lobby yet, though!

Jamie Eyberg said...

have you tried the online office supply stores? Also, If you buy bulk cardstock (comes in packages of 100 sheets) couldn't you use the template guide for the pre-cut bookmarks and cut them with a paper cutter? Just an idea. I have no clue what I am talking about. If it isn't made of wood and put together with glue and nails I am lost.

Aaron Polson said...

Sorry to hear about Angel, and all the best with the sticker hunt.

I did find some round 2" online ($18.95 for 100 sheets of 20/2000 total stickers)
http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL5375.htm

Take care.

Unknown said...

My wife and I still can't talk about our old white german shephard that died three years ago.

Hopefully something will come along soon to cheer you up, like a 3 book deal or something. My fingers are crossed for you.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jamie--I was actually looking for printable bookmark templates, but they didn't have those at all. I compromised with the die-cut ones even though they were fairly expensive. They're going to look homemade enough without me also trying to use a paper-cutter to cut them out. :)

Aaron--Ooh, thanks, I'll take a look! Hopefully I can find them for sale locally, but if not I can order them. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Jeremy--A three-book deal would go a long way to cheering me up. I had Angel for, gosh, 13 years? What with me losing my poor old dog last fall too, it's hard to believe I only have one pet now. Vincent is getting spoiled rotten.

Diana said...

Try Office Depot, Office Mart, or Staples for the stickers that you are looking for. They have all kinds and sizes that will work in a printer.

With a paper trimmer, you can also get card stock at any one of those stores and cut it to the size you want. I used to do this all the time when I was making flyers.

K.C. Shaw said...

I checked Staples online but didn't see anything listed that would work. I've got tomorrow off work and I've got to go to Kinko's for something else, so I might check with them and see what they offer too. Thanks for the ideas!

Alan W. Davidson said...

Sorry to hear about your cat, KC.

I have always got that sort of thing at Staples.

K.C. Shaw said...

If I can't find what I have in mind, I might make do with something else--square stickers or bright green or something. Staples is on my list of places to try.