Thursday, March 11, 2010

Within ten minutes

I just got a rejection for a short story and a shortlisting for a novella within ten minutes of each other. This is after weeks of nonactivity in my inbox, and the two markets involved could not possibly be more unalike. Just one of those things, I guess. Maybe I will get a third email with an acceptance in a few minutes.

My short but lovely spring break is over. I have to work tomorrow--although I do have Saturday off, so I have a real weekend for a change! I intend to work in the garden. I started getting it ready yesterday and did a little more work today before the rain set in. Yardwork is a great way to discover that you're in terrible shape; after a few minutes with the hoe, my arms feel like limp noodles, and today my muscles are gently but persistently sore. I guess that's good for me.

11 comments:

Jameson T. Caine said...

Congrats on the shortlist!

The only thing I hate more than yardwork is...nothing. I hate it.

Aaron Polson said...

Feast or famine, right? Wait...wait...wait...INBOX ATTACK!

Yard work and I get along most of the time.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jameson--I don't mind yardwork some of the time. Then again, I only do it in little bitty time increments.

Aaron--My inbox apparently exhausted itself after two emails, but hey, it's really out of shape. Like me and yardwork.

Jamie Eyberg said...

If you let your yard return to its natural form you don't have to worry about yardwork. Your neighbors might complain, but you won't have yardwork.

K.C. Shaw said...

But, but, that would mean no peppers!

Paula RC said...

While you are on a high here is my award to you.
Please drop by and pick it up when you have the time.

Best wishes

K.C. Shaw said...

Ooh, thanks! I'll be right by. :)

Fox Lee said...

*sigh* That's going to be me soon, only I always hurt my back. Fucking weeds.

K.C. Shaw said...

No, no, you're supposed to pull weeds, not fuck them. No wonder your back hurts. :p

Anne Spollen said...

Well, the novella sounds promising. That's the way things always seem to work; it's the will of the powers that be to keep writers' egos in check.

Gardening sounds great. We're going through a cold Nor'easter of rain here, with power outages again. Yardwork would be welcome.

K.C. Shaw said...

It's been raining here too, but fortunately no power outages. I only managed to get outside to work for about 15 minutes between downpours yesterday, and the soil was so soggy it's hard to do anything with it. I guess I'll be forced to stay inside today and not do any manual labor. :)