Monday, November 16, 2009

No books in November

I'm feeling much better today, so much better that I no longer loathe my NaNo book. Still, at lunch when I dragged my beat-up notebook out of my bag along with the leftover pizza, I had a wave of "oh hell, not now." So I tra-la put the notebook away and pulled out the paperback book I've been carrying around for weeks, Fritz Lieber's Swords & Deviltry.

I know, I know, I've been talking about reading it for probably two months now. I even started it in October, but before I could get more than a few pages in, suddenly it was November. I don't read much during NaNo. But today I read through lunch.

At first I couldn't really get into the book. It's a parody of those swords and sorcery books that were popular in the 60s and 70s, which I've never loved. But--about twenty pages in, I suddenly realized that I love this book dearly and want to read it until I'm done. That's going to make it hard to get a few thousand words in on my NaNo book tonight. And that's why I don't read much during November.

8 comments:

Danielle Birch said...

Am glad you no longer loathe your NaNo book.

K.C. Shaw said...

Yeah, I only slightly dislike it now. :) Actually, I just wrote almost 2,000 words without too much effort. Thank goodness!

BT said...

I admire your tenacity. With everything that's gone against you with NaNo so far this month, I'm surprised you haven't raised the white flag yet.

Go girl!

Word verification = mundedne
Definition = my knees once the doc has finally fixed them :c)

Yes, I'll leave now...

K.C. Shaw said...

It's not tenacity so much as stubbornness. I do suspect this is the last time I do NaNo, unless of course things just work out better next year. Five times in a row in plenty.

Jamie Eyberg said...

It is awesome to find a book you can lose yourself in and still find time to work on your own projects. Only 13 days to go.

Aaron Polson said...

...5 times NaNo? You get the pin this year! ;)

Cate Gardner said...

There's nothing like a book you can't put down. Congrats on the 2,000 words.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jamie--ack, only 13 days! Don't scare me like that!

Aaron--well, it took me five years. :)

Cate--It's probably a good think it's a short book. But...I own the second book in the series too.