Sunday, May 24, 2009

Filling in gaps

Last year I started writing the fourth book in the Kristof and Gabe series--or, rather, the third sequel to The Weredeer, because maybe some day it'll be published. I cheated, though, skipping from scene to scene to keep myself interested.

Well, this morning and partly this afternoon, I sat down and wrote all the missing scenes between the ones I'd already written. I don't know why I decided to do it now, when I've got Little Sparrow on the back burner and the new-untitled project on the front burner. But I'm glad I did.

I'm almost 15,000 words into this fourth book (working title: "four"), a lot more than I realized. Now when I'm ready to come back and finish it, it's ready for me. No gaps.

6 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

WOW! That's a lot of words in one day.

K.C. Shaw said...

Oh, I didn't write 15,000 words in one day! (I wish.) I did write several thousand, though. Most of the 15,000 was already written, it was just unconnected scenes.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Go you. I look forward to having the complete series on my bookshelf someday :)

K.C. Shaw said...

So do I! Let's hope they say Ace or something on the spine instead of iUniverse. :)

Carrie Harris said...

Wow. That word count? The mind boggles.

Mine does, anyway. :) Of course, I'm one of those perfectionists who can't leave a paragraph until it's nigh perfect.

K.C. Shaw said...

My problem is more leaving the paragraph when it's not actually very good yet.