Friday, December 17, 2010

The manly dog scarf


Here it is, the very short scarf I made for my uncle out of the fluffy puppy fur he saved from his dog Jack. If I'd started this project before December, I could have spun up a bunch more of the fur into yarn and made him a decently long scarf. Don't tell him I slacked off. I'll just quietly let him believe I used up all the fur.

Anyway, the scarf is actually a good length for him to put around his neck and button the ends under his coat. That's what I tell myself, anyway. It's very soft and warm, and I used the same pattern I used last year for the neighbor whose scarf I made out of his dog's fur. I feel so typecast. The result is an attractive, manly scarf that was really, really super easy to knit. I didn't do any kind of edging because I didn't want it to look too frou-frou and anyway I ran out of yarn.

Here's the pattern, for those of you who might be interested. I used size 10 needles and I guess the yarn is around worsted weight. I rarely bother to check the gauge on my handspun unless I'm making something that absolutely requires it.

Manly Scarf

CO 20 sts
2 rows seed st
K P K, K2 P2 across, K P K
K P K, P2 K2 across, K P K
K P K, P2 K2 across, K P K
K P K, K2 P2 across, K P K
rep until almost out of yarn
2 rows seed st
cast off

9 comments:

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks for the pattern, though it's all greek to me. I'll box up the stubbly greyhound hair from the floor and mail it to you...there might be enough for a small mitten.

Fox Lee said...

Would it be possible to knit a jock strap? Because that would be very manly.

K.C. Shaw said...

Alan--A small, scratchy mitten. :)

Natalie--A jock strap made of dog hair! Nothing could be more manly.

Anne Spollen said...

Wow - the ultimate in recycling - nice job!

K.C. Shaw said...

I recycled a dog. :)

Danielle Birch said...

I wish I could knit. That pattern might as well be written in another language.

Paula RC said...

What a wonderful Scarf! my sister made me one from llama wool.

Best wishes and have a great Christmas

K.C. Shaw said...

Llama wool is so soft!

Happy holidays!

K.C. Shaw said...

Danielle--Oops, missed your comment. :) Knitting is actually really easy. There are basically only two stitches and you just do them in various patterns.