Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Short on sleep, short on words

It's Day Two of NaNo and I've written, um, 659 words. That includes the title and 'Chapter One.' But I work ten hours on Tuesdays and I'm still short on sleep, so I didn't have time to write last night. Tonight will hopefully be different!

Still no word from Angry Robot. Still no word from Apex. On Sunday, it'll have been my one-year anniversary of that story's shortlisting at Apex. I plan to write and ask if I maybe missed their response. A year+ on a 2,400 word story is just ridiculous.

State employees got a one-time bonus this month, so I have a little extra money. I think I'm going to buy a block of ISBNs and go ahead with some self-publishing. Everyone else is doing it, I feel left out! My goal is to make back the money I spend on the ISBNs.

5 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

You'll make your money back, K.C., and more. I know you'll do fine.

Michael McClung said...

Have you considered going the smashwords route?

K.C. Shaw said...

Aaron--I hope so. It'll be fun, anyway.

Michael--I thought about it, but I want more freedom in marketing than they offer. I might as well do it all myself for the full experience, too.

Cate Gardner said...

I'm still hopeful for your Angry Robot submission - the longer they take to reply the more they're considering it, right?

Good luck travelling the self publishing road, you definitely deserve more attention. It irks me that Jack of all Trades didn't take over the world - one of my all time favourite books (and I'm not saying that because I know you.)

K.C. Shaw said...

Aw, thanks! I hope Angry Robot are really considering it instead of it sitting in the 'reject when I get time to write the letter' file of an editor's email.