Monday, April 4, 2011

What we talk about when we talk about ducks


This is what I've been doing lately.

That's the culvert and the little connector ditch I blogged about recently. You can't tell from the picture, but it's raining. Also, if you look closely there are two rubber duckies floating down the rainwater.

Because that's my new hobby.

Mom has a little table next to the front door, and on it are two small bowls, much cracked-and-repaired, from Ming dynasty China. They happen to be precisely the right size for small rubber duckies.

After I came in this evening from racing my rubber duckies, Mom walked by the bowls and stopped to stare at them. She said, "This may be the first time any Ming bowls anywhere have been used to hold rubber duckies." And I said, "But not the last time."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duckies in a ditch are definitely the best, most whimsical things that I've seen all day! :D

-Mercedes

Cate Gardner said...

I need some rubber ducks in my life. Maybe they could live in my forest and become monster rubber duckies.

K.C. Shaw said...

Mercedes--They're fun too!

Cate--I don't trust them, myself. They're going to sprout fangs or start breathing fire at any moment. You'd better watch them for me--you have much more experience with morphing ducks than I do. :)

Fox Lee said...

Go ducks, go!!

K.C. Shaw said...

They're a bit top-heavy, so they tend to go head-first. :)

Danielle Birch said...

We have one rubber duckie in our bathroom. I may consider the purchase of a second purely for the sake of racing them. A great hobby indeed.

K.C. Shaw said...

They race best in ditches full of rainwater. :)

Anonymous said...

When we were married, my husband brought three rubber duckies into our union. He'd drawn on all of them. There was KISS duck, Elvis duck, and LDS Missionary duck. Now our kids bathe with them. They've given us so much delight! :D

-Mercedes

K.C. Shaw said...

I love the mixture of duck styles! Does the Elvis duck have long, earnest conversations with the LDS Missionary duck while the KISS duck struts around shouting? :)