Friday, February 13, 2009

That's why it's called a rough draft. Very rough.

The storms that roared through on Wednesday night knocked out our internets until this morning. I was forced to waste time not by playing Wordtwist online, but by starting up a new game of Exile I: Escape from the Pit. I play the Exile trilogy about once every 18 months, so I'm due to start it again anyway. I have a spiral notebook jammed full of maps and notes. It is a superb time-waster.

I also managed to finish the rough draft of Blood and Taxes. It's horrible. It's 10,000 words too long. It's full of plot holes and dangling loose ends and it's boring boring boring and the main character is way too passive. But it's done. Problems can be fixed.

Now I think I'm going to have to focus on writing some short stories. I have indulged myself with novels for way too long. I haven't even started the tentacles story I was thinking about more than a week ago, and the story I did start last week is half-done and needs to be finished. Also, of course, I have to finish playing Exile.

4 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

When you go back to 'Blood and Taxes', I bet you find it isn't as bad as you think.

Aaron Polson said...

I think one of the biggest problems a writer must face is being able to knock out that first draft. Of course it is too long. Of course it is full of plot holes. Of course the main character is too passive.

Problems can and will be fixed.

Good luck. ;)

Jamie Eyberg said...

Here I am stuck in Novel mode. I can't seem to get a short story idea going to save my life. Good luck when you get back to it. I am sure it isn't as bad as you think.

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--thanks! I hope you're right.

Aaron--I always remember the "you can't revise a blank page" advice. Once it's down on paper (er, or onscreen), it can be fixed with enough effort.

Jamie--I'm usually stuck in novel mode, but it's the short stories that remind me that I'm not actually wasting my time writing. Because sometimes I sell a short story!