Monday, June 8, 2009

Up to date

Yesterday I piled up all the notebooks I had sitting around, went through them, and made sure that everything I'd written in them was transcribed. Five notebooks had big chunks of writing that I'd never typed, for four different projects. I got it all typed even though it took hours, hours that I could have spent watching Hot Pursuit police chases on TV and eating ice cream. But I'm dedicated, so I typed instead.

So now White Rose, Little Sparrow, Stag in Ruin, and the new still-untitled project are all up to date. I really like Little Sparrow and I'd like to get back into it--but while I was typing up the last little bit I'd written, I could feel myself writing the plot into a corner. I definitely need to sit down and figure out exactly what I want to do with that one. I think it needs an outline. I've been working without outlines lately, but every project is different.

11 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

I really don't know how you do it, writing longhand and all. I couldn't do it.

K.C. Shaw said...

I like writing longhand in a way, because it means I can write a few paragraphs whenever I have some down time, even if I didn't bring my laptop.

Aaron Polson said...

Okay...I understand writing longhand, I just can't mentally do it. I've "learned" to write at the computer, and long hand, well...it just doesn't work.

K.C. Shaw said...

The first step is to find a pen or pencil. Maybe that's what's holding you back. :)

Cate Gardner said...

Go put your fingers in some iced water.

Carrie Harris said...

Yeah, I'm with Jamie. No idea how you do it. I'm more the pace-around-and-mutter-to-myself-in-public type.

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--lol! It might help me type faster. :)

Carrie--Oh, I do that too.

Danielle Birch said...

Very disciplined. You're making me feel very lazy.

K.C. Shaw said...

Oh, don't feel lazy. I just typed, I didn't write. I really need to kick myself in the butt and get back to writing every day (although I did write a flash story yesterday).

Anne Spollen said...

Yes! I just clicked here from Carrie's blog -- I write longhand, too. Not the revisions, but a lot of my books on paper. We are a disappearing breed.

K.C. Shaw said...

We are sisters in ink!

I was starting to wonder if I was the last person on earth to write longhand. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.