Wednesday, January 14, 2009

All that and children's books too!

In a fit of miserable boredom, I just googled myself. And what should pop up but a link to Trunk Novels' blog, where they posted the interview with me on Jan. 1. I suspect it was one of those preset auto-post things. Their website hasn't been updated since mid-December, so who knows what's going on with them? I took Weaver's Shroud and Trunk Novels off my website for now.

Last night I spend the evening alternately reading Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner and rhapsodising about it to my mom, who was trying to read her own book and kept giving me ironic looks from under her eyebrows until finally she said, "The aliens are attacking. Do you mind?" This morning before I left for work she said she was going to the used book store, and did I want her to pick up more books by that author I like? I said yes and wrote down the author's name, at which point Mom said, "Ellen Kushner? Do you know who she is? 'Sound and Spirit'!"

Well, damn! I love "Sound and Spirit"! And I love Swordspoint, which I'm trying to read slowly because it's so amazingly beautifully written! I didn't recognize the author's name because of course I always think of her as Ellen-Kushner-Sound-and-Spirit. She is one talented woman, that's for sure. Also, Mom says she writes children's books.

8 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

Aren't most writers talented (even, as in my case, if it isn't writing) I love finding a good author. It brings me joy.

Aaron Polson said...

Finding good authors is such a joy. So much rough; not enough diamonds.

...and isn't it a dirty little pleasure to google yourself. ;)

Unknown said...

Sitting around reading with your mom and talking about books sounds like a really great time. And going to bookstores too.


word verification: Sestesto!

K.C. Shaw said...

Jamie--Kushner has more than the usual allotment of talent. She has, like, a double helping.

Jamie & Aaron--I absolutely love finding a great new author! There's very little to top it!

Jeremy--I'm lucky that my mom is as much a reader as I am. When we go out shopping, most of the time we both start and finish at bookstores.

Carrie Harris said...

I think I love your mom.

You too, of course. Only not in a stalkerish way.

I think I'd better shut up now.

K.C. Shaw said...

Fortunately, I love my mom too. If you ever need to borrow a mom for, like, a party or something, you can borrow mine.

Cate Gardner said...

I never google myself...

I've set up a Google alert instead. :)

K.C. Shaw said...

I'd set up Google alert, but there are about a million K.C. Shaws out there and even more Katherine Shaws and Kate Shaws. At least whenever I do something, they all get alerted about me.