Sunday, January 11, 2009

(Rambling, incoherent) update

I got an email from Mundania today, saying that they're still doing final readings of manuscripts still under consideration and that they should be making their decisions shortly. It was very nice of them to let me know, although I must say I about had a heart attack when I saw the email.

The shadowy Other Books also under consideration are now my enemies. We battle! I am imagining something out of Kung Fu Panda, but with paper. Of course The Weredeer is the awesomest, but obviously no one has recognized that yet or I would have already received an acceptance. If they only knew that I have the amazing power of attracting furries, and the magical ability of dragging their little paws away from their fantastic grip on Sofawolf's catalog!

On the other hand, this might not be considered a talent. So because I really don't want to have a heart attack the next email I get from Mundania, I'll now write their rejection to me myself and spare my nerves.

Dear K.C. Shaw (if that is your real name):
Thank you for your submission of The Weredeer. We liked it, but we have decided it's not right for our catalog at this time. Because it's about a weredeer, which is just silly. While we did take into consideration
your self-admitted superpower of attracting furries to your writing, even when the main character's name is not Kitty, we know full well that there are only actually about 400 furries in the world and half of them are incapable of reading a story that isn't accompanied by pictures. Thank you for thinking of Mundania, and we regret to have informed you of our decision six weeks after Double Dragon closed for submissions.
Sincerely, etc.

Now the real thing won't sting, eh?

I suspect this post is going to read like I just drank a bottle of cough syrup. It's been a long day.

P.S. I actually think furries are cute, with their little whiskery noses and cute little paws. Oh wait, I'm thinking of mice.

11 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

I just got a 'we're closing, sorry' after a year long wait on a novella submission. Very boring rejection. :)

K.C. Shaw said...

Ouch! That kind sucks, especially after waiting so long. :(

Aaron Polson said...

Hey...I received one of those too.

I like the idea of writing a rejection to myself, to buffer the real shock. Nice.

Jamie Eyberg said...

A children's book I sent out didn't bother getting any post before they closed up. Very disappointed.

K.C. Shaw said...

It would be weird if they read my post (*shudders*) and then copied my rejection and sent it to me. Although I don't actually think they're that snarky.

Cate Gardner said...

Or what would be fabulous - if they read your rejection, sent it to you word for word and then five minutes later sent their real response - an acceptance.

K.C. Shaw said...

Then I really would have a heart attack. That would just be cruel. (Although as long as they accepted it, I wouldn't complain too much from my hospital bed.)

Carrie Harris said...

I think you may have found your calling. You should write rejection letters. Because I'd rather have a silly one than the usual "thanks but no thanks."

K.C. Shaw said...

It might be fun to be on the dishing-out end of rejections for a change too.

Unknown said...

Still, it must be pretty cool knowing that your full manuscript is out there somewhere being considered.

K.C. Shaw said...

Maybe they're considering it. Maybe they're just playing with my head!!