Thursday, January 8, 2009

And I have to get up in seven hours, too

I just got an email that my undead shark story has been shortlisted for the Dead Bait anthology. So at least I know they like it well enough not to reject it out of hand, but now I have to wait. And you all know how patient I am.

Actually, I am patient, but I complain a lot.

I'm reading Sarah Monette's Melusine, which I started almost two weeks ago but put down for a while since, after seeing "Slumdog Millionaire" on New Year's Day (an amazing but agonizing movie), I just couldn't face anything else grim for a while. It's beautifully written, and I don't even have to read it in a permanent flinch, because Monette starts off with absolutely no-holds-barred awfulness happening to one of the main characters. After that, I know she's one of those authors who detail wretchedness in loving detail, so every bad thing that I half-expect to happen is going to happen, at length. So I don't have to dread that something awful might happen, because it will happen. Does that make sense? Unfortunately, something that doesn't seem to be happening is a plot. Monette does a lot of walking in place, which is why the book is 500 damn pages long.

Anyway, I'm on page 176 now and only just met the character of Magnus in the last section or so. I have a character named Magnus in The Taste of Magic--not a big deal, except that I also have a character named Felix. No one will ever believe that it's a coincidence and not some half-assed attempt at an homage or whatever, so since I really can't change Magnus's name, my poor Felix will have to get renamed. That's a pity, since I love the name Felix. I already had to change another character's name, and I think that may have been a mistake--he was named Alexander, which was just perfect, but I already had two characters whose names begin with A and two characters whose names end with an "er" sound, so Alexander had to go. I renamed him Dominic. I don't know what I'll rename Felix.

I'm only yammering like this because I don't feel good. I hope it's something I ate and not a stomach virus. Every time I lie down I have to get back up, so now I'm just sitting here with Bunny the laptop, feeling grim and tired and unhappy. So I guess I should go back to reading Melusine.

7 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Woot! Fingers crossed.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I will hold my breath for you, my wife says I don't have a lot of oxygen going to my brain anyway.

K.C. Shaw said...

Thanks! I don't know what I'll do with this story if they don't want it, so here's hoping.

Aaron Polson said...

Huzzah for the shortlist. And don't worry, there are plenty of markets for undead sharks. Plenty.

K.C. Shaw said...

Well, hopefully I won't need any of those other undead shark markets. :)

Carrie Harris said...

I couldn't get through Melusine for that reason. Lots of awfulness, but not a lot else happening, I thought. She sure does have a way with language, though.

Fingers crossed for you too!

K.C. Shaw said...

I'm halfway through now, so I guess I'll finish. I do like her writing.