Monday, January 26, 2009

Two contest results

Okay, let's try this again...Blogger ate my original attempt.

I woke up this morning to a partial request from an agent, which was a great start to the day. Then I saw that my entry to Lisa Shearin's "name the bordello" contest was the winner! I'll receive acknowledgement of my mad skillz in her next book. This may be the coolest thing that's ever happened to me, although that's not hard. I mean, I may not have much else going for me, but by gum I can name a fictional bordello in someone else's world!

Then I got the results from another contest, the 3-day Novel Contest, and I did not win. Alas, my 23,000 word craptastic written-in-about-20-hours novella did not even make the honorable mention cut. But that means I can A) re-read the damn thing, which I haven't since I wrote it and I'm itching to revise it, and B) market after revisions, even if it is a novella and therefore by default unpublishable, and C) play around with other stories in that same world, which I built just for this contest. So it's all good, although dammit, I would have really liked to win. Oh well, I bet the actual winner would have been a total failure at naming Lisa Shearin's bordello.

7 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

YAY! The bordello win is far cooler than the 3 day novel thing.

K.C. Shaw said...

That's what I think. Naming a bordello comes with bragging rights. Winning a 3-day novel contest requires tedious explanations and a certain amount of embarrassment ("well, yes, I wrote it in three days and it isn't actually all that good, but it was better than the other entries which were also written in three days...").

Aaron Polson said...

I'm with Cate. Novella, sheesh. Bordello, sweet!

Jamie Eyberg said...

Way to go. On both fronts and I will explain. First you won and will receive credit (way cool) second you wrote a novella in 20 hours, who cares if it sucks.

Jeremy D Brooks said...

Ditto all of the above, and a partial request is pretty damn cool too! Congrats

K.C. Shaw said...

Thanks, y'all! I reread part of the novella over lunch and it's actually not too bad. The first chapter needs a lot of work, but then it sort of hits its stride and it's entertaining.

Ace said...

Congrats on the bordello win!