Monday, January 26, 2009

Help me rename this novella

I know, I'm the worst titler ever. The working title for my formerly 3-day-novel-contest entry is Hilda and Justice, and it's the worst bad title I've ever come up with. So I ask you, my gifted friends, to help me come up with a less bad title.

Here's the (probably also woefully bad) query I've just written, which might help give you some ideas. Also, if the query stinks please let me know. I thought maybe Justice and Revenge would work as a title, but then I realized it was almost as bad as the title I've got. I'm really bad at this. Also, I probably need to change Hilda's name to something that isn't quite so offputting.

"Hilda Black spent her healing apprenticeship working in the drake fighting pits, but she left it all behind years before. She doesn't want anything to do with drake fighting and the bad memories it brings back. But Grant Mickelson is in town again with his troop of drakes. If Hilda's going to get revenge on him for what he did to her years before, she needs to get into the trainer's section of the arena. And that means she needs a drake of her own to enter in the upcoming tournament.

"She finds Justice, a young drake who's just fought in his first junior match. He's flashy, enthusiastic, and intensely loyal to her. Hilda only planned on entering Justice in one match, but she can't just discard him once the match is over. And, she discovers, he was trained by Grant. With Justice's knowledge of the man, Hilda plans a more subtle revenge on Grant than her original idea of blackmail.

"But revenge is harder than Hilda expects. It means having to accept Grant's job offer and work for him as a drake healer, even though being near him terrifies and confuses her. And she has Justice depending on her for friendship and training too--even though the drake is keeping a secret from everyone."

Yes, I know. It sucks enormously. Oh well, thanks very much for any suggestions!

10 comments:

Jameson T. Caine said...

Avenging Fury? No, that sounds like some cheesy 80's action flick. How about "A Symmetry of Retribution?" Ok, forget it, my brain hurts.

Aaron Polson said...

The Price of Justice?

A Just Revenge?

I Just Need to Go to Bed?

(sorry...I'll set Fred to work on this)

Jamie Eyberg said...

My wife read this and wants to know more about the fighting ducks.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jameson--lol, I could throw in a few car chases and rename it Avenging Fury.

Aaron--I could title all my stories I Just Need to Go to Bed. You know, The Price of Justice is getting there. It sure beats Hilda and Justice.

Jamie--doh! I guess I should mention in the query that a drake is a type of small dragon, huh? Or I could just change them to ducks and title it The Mighty Ducks. Or has that been used?

Richard said...

A healer? Hmmm... About about "Hilda Wounds"? (Get it, "heal da wounds"? Yuk yuk)

K.C. Shaw said...

OKAY, I am definitely renaming Hilda! No puns! Although I admit to considering the name Honor, because Honor and Justice--well, no.

Jameson T. Caine said...

Duck fighting pits sound cool.
Draconian Justice? That kind of works two ways.

Yeah, I think my dinner is ready or something.

K.C. Shaw said...

Draconian Justice, hmm. Darn it, I'm to the point where everything sounds both good and bad. Need more cookies.

Cate Gardner said...

Okay, it's early and I'm not fully awake yet.

How about:

The Flap of Vengeful Wings

K.C. Shaw said...

I like it--but my drakes and dragons don't have wings. Then again, if I change them into ducks....