Friday, January 9, 2009

More punch! Fewer words!

I sure was whiny yesterday. Sorry about that. You all know how I am when I'm short of sleep, or worried that I'm going to be short of sleep. *rolls eyes*

I finished Melusine finally. It was good, but it would have been infinitely better--I mean, truly, infinitely better--if someone had held a gun to Sarah Monette's head and made her cut about 40,000 words out of the book. Honestly. And no, I'm not reading the sequels. I don't have that many hours in my life.

I got a rejection today for "Never Be Alone," which was actually a relief. Now I don't have to dread the first rejection of the year. "Never Be Alone" was a semi-finalist in the WotF contest at the end of 2007, but not only is it a ridiculously long 13,000 words, I've never been happy with the main character. She has no personality. I'm very tempted to tear the good ideas out of the story--the speecher, the godholders--and rework them into a much different, much more interesting story that's fantasy instead of SF. It might even hold up enough to carry a whole novel, who knows?

But for now, I am short on sleep. And that makes me cranky. So good night.

4 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

I'm way past my first rejection of the year, and I envy your 13,000 words.

Aaron Polson said...

I'm with Cate...rejection number (let me check my inbox)...

13,000 words is a whopper. I'm afraid of writing anything between 5,000 and 75,000.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I am one up on you in the rejection department so far this year. Good luck with the story. Sometimes time can make them better, even if it isn't what we thought of in the first place.

K.C. Shaw said...

Lordie, don't anyone envy me a story that only has about six markets available because of its length! I'm really looking forward to ripping it apart and having fun with the ideas, though, and I think I can get a really, truly excellent story out of it once I decide to dump the baggage.